Director of Software Engineering (f/m/d)
1&1 Mail & Media Applications SE | IT Software Development | Karlsruhe / Munich | Permanent | Full-time | Executives | Reference ID: 2899
- Tasks that ignite your passion
With more than 43 million active customers and up to 15,000 incoming emails per second, GMX and WEB.DE are among the most widely used email providers in Germany. We rely on state-of-the-art technologies for our mail systems and offer our customers an "intelligent mailbox", for example, using artificial intelligence. As Director of Software Engineering, you will shape the technological future of our mail backend systems together with your teams and take responsibility for a large distributed software infrastructure with 60 petabytes of data.
- You will lead and coach an agile software development department consisting of teams with about 30 employees and develop your area further.
- You are responsible for the further and new development of mail backend systems and ensure that the right architecture and technology selection decisions are made.
- You deal with concepts of distributed systems based on Java and C++, object stores, NoSQL databases and queues. You are familiar with corresponding technologies such as ceph, Cassandra and Apache Kafka, Kubernetes or comparable alternatives.
- As part of the plan-build-run chain, you are responsible for the highly available operation of Germany's largest mail system together with Product Management and IT Operations. You contribute to this by automating, implementing resilience patterns, using scalable technologies and supporting other operations aspects such as observability and alerting.
- You ensure that your teams have an overview of all aspects of successful software development.
Advantages you enjoy
Lived corporate culture
Transparency, open communication and short decision-making processes
Wide range of further training
E-learning, seminars, conferences and mentoring
Conferences, lecture series, courses, open source projects, community meetings, user groups
Active health care
Sports and fitness classes, lectures, discounts at fitness and health centers, fresh fruit and drinks for free
Inexpensive job bike
Generous subsidy for job bike leasing
Flexible working models
Home office, mobile office, flexible working hours, trust-based working time arrangements
Company pension scheme, discounts on our products and various leisure activities
Summer and winter parties, additional workshops and team events
- Your qualifications which inspire us
You have a technical degree or a comparable qualification? Your many years of experience as a software developer help you to ask your teams the right questions and make the right decisions together? In the past you planned code structures, today you decide on the overall architecture of large systems? Are you motivated when the software you develop delights millions of people because it efficiently sorts out spam and automatically distinguishes important emails from unimportant ones? Then we look forward to receiving your application!
- You have a confident manner, can convince others with arguments and enjoy interdisciplinary thinking and working.
- You are very familiar with recruiting, building, structuring, leading technical organisations and strategic leadership with clear objectives.
- When it comes to important decisions such as system architecture and technology decisions, you are not only a spectator but also participate in discussions at eye level. Ideally, you have experience in the planning and implementation of high-load systems.
- You can create a constructive, productive and healthy environment, always involving your employees and giving them the opportunity to actively contribute to the success of the team.
- You enjoy coaching and developing your staff.
We are brand. With GMX, WEB.DE and mail.com and over 43 million active users, we are the leading email and communication platform in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
We are future. Our services and apps simplify digital life from cloud storage to news and ID management.
You are at home. Your digital passion finds a professional home with us. Your strength makes us stronger, your expertise complements our ideas, your success becomes visible. Together we shape the digital future.
Diversity enriches. Different cultures, nationalities, genders, age groups, sexual orientations and religions as well as people with disabilities - we desire diversity and encourage it. Because only teams that reflect all facets of society offer the best framework conditions for creativity and make a company productive and distinctive. We value diversity and welcome all applications.
We look forward to receiving your application, including your salary expectations and the reference number given above. Please use our online application form. If you have any questions about the position or the application process, please send us an email.
1&1 Mail & Media Applications SE
Recruiting & Candidate Management
We are awarded!